Re: ACTION-61: text for embedding part of the Window object

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

 > The element that refers to another document that is then embedded is

"An element"?  Or is there only one in the universe?  This applies to a lot of
the articles in this first paragraph.

> <code>window.frameElement</code> from a child document MUST reflect the
> referencing element.

Generally speaking subject to security restrictions, right?  As in, the getter
should be allowed to throw a security error instead, imo.

> <code>window.parent</code> MUST reflect the parent
> document Window object.

Even if script has modified it?  Note that script can change the "parent"
propert of a window.

> <code>window.top</code> MUST reflect the root document Window object.

Same here.

> If there is no referencing element, parent
> document or root document the attributes MUST be <code>null</code>
> respectively.

Under what circumstances would there be no root document?  And again, how does
that interact with scripts setting Window.top and Window.parent?

> <code>window.name</code> from a child document MUST initially reflect
> the name assigned by the referencing element.

What does "from a child document" mean here?  Also, what does "initially" mean?

> If there is no referencing element this attribute
> MUST be the empty string.

That doesn't work for window.open() and <a target> at the very least.

> The document itself can change its name by
> changing <code>window.name</code> to any arbitrary string.

The document doesn't change its name; it changes the window's name.  That is,
the name change outlives the document.

> For example, if you have &lt;object data="<var>file</var>"
> id="test"/&gt; in an XHTML document the <code>window.name</code> DOM
> attribute within <var>file</var> will be "test" initially.

I'm still not clear on what "initially" means.

-Boris