Re: ISSUE-30: mousewheel event

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:32:51 -0000
To: "Web APIs WG" <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Matthew Raymond" <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
>   So if I have my mouse set up to switch applications when I move the
> mouse wheel, the BROWSER should prevent me from doing so and instead
> hand that input off to a Javascript function?!? Get real!

No, obviously not.

There are 2 issues here, they are completely unrelated, one is how to
identify mouse buttons or mousewheels in a web-api.

The other is about how you configure the permission to access these buttons
and wheels.

The second should not be standardised, the first needs to be supported.

>   I did a quick test with two <textarea> elements. Scrolling the
> unfocused <textarea> using the mouse wheel in both IE and Mozilla did
> not cause the element to take focus from the focused <textarea>.

Try it with a SELECT element ie give focus to a select area, then use the
scrollwheel when mousefocus is somewhere else, I'm pretty sure the focused
element will scroll.

Jim.