Re: Safe copy and paste with scripts

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:05:23 +0100
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> They want you to be able to quote the site in an email or chat
>> message, etc. Plus you can always add a special copy command that
>> bypasses the event if it does get abused (something that's harder to
>> do for the existing selection control).
> Yeah, this option was mentioned before. My issue with it is that users
> might not really get what's going on and won't find (or even look for)
> this new magical menu-item.
I think it is a much better alternative, in terms of user access to
functions, to offer a "copy text" and to offer a flag "use text
selection", than to let browsers hunt for a hidden div!

An interesting contribution might be to be able to characterize such
copy ability the same way accessibility guidelines have done it!

paul