RE: Selectors API naming

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:50:05 -0800
To: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
CC: Martijn <martijn.martijn@gmail.com>, Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Dave Massy <dave.massy@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Robert Sayre [mailto:sayrer@gmail.com] wrote:
>On 12/20/06, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> ?  I never claimed there were technical problems with "matchAll" or
>> "select" either - just that they didn't fit the pattern established
by
>> the other DOM Recommendation APIs,
>
>Web authors don't encounter a consistent pattern, and what is and
>isn't a DOM Recommendation API is an artificial distinction that
>doesn't matter to most of them, though interoperability does...

I disagree.  Anyone who uses both getElementsByTagName and
getElementByID encounters a pattern.

>If the issue is only one of clarity and consistency, then I
>heartily concur with Ian--that's what editors are for.

How many web developers do you think read the entire spec rather than
dive in looking for API calls?

>> To become a Recommendation, it has to go through a lot more
>> analysis by multiple parties and multiple implementations, etc
>
>Recommendations seem to vary widely in that regard.

HA!  Amen to that.

-Chris