Re: Selectors API naming

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:38:23 -0500
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: Martijn <martijn.martijn@gmail.com>, "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Dave Massy" <dave.massy@microsoft.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 12/20/06, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> ?  I never claimed there were technical problems with "matchAll" or
> "select" either - just that they didn't fit the pattern established by
> the other DOM Recommendation APIs,

Web authors don't encounter a consistent pattern, and what is and
isn't a DOM Recommendation API is an artificial distinction that
doesn't matter to most of them, though interoperability does (of
course). If the issue is only one of clarity and consistency, then I
heartily concur with Ian--that's what editors are for.

> To become a Recommendation, it has to go through a lot more
> analysis by multiple parties and multiple implementations, etc

Recommendations seem to vary widely in that regard.

--

Robert Sayre