Re: Selectors API naming

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:45:34 -0500
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: Martijn <martijn.martijn@gmail.com>, "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Dave Massy" <dave.massy@microsoft.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 12/20/06, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> The DOM L3 XPath specification is a Note, not a Recommendation.

That's right. I haven't heard of any technical problems with that
standard's document.evaluate method name.

> I would expect to have the same discussion about minimalism and

Looking over this thread, I have to admit I would expect the same.
However, my hope is that  W3C members would find better things to do
than rename what already works.

> polluting the document object if it were to be Proposed.

I don't understand what you mean by "polluting". What impact do
matchSingle and matchAll have on the ecology of the document object?

All that said, maybe it would be expedient to stick with the really,
really long names and standardize the shortcuts, using a method on
window to turn them on. That way, older browsers that don't implement
the "Quick DOM" standard could be catered to by adding a script
element.

--

Robert Sayre