Re: XMLHttpRequest conformance comments

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:49:32 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: public-webapi@w3.org

Bjoern Hoehrmann schrieb:
> Oh please, checking the return value of getResponseHeader() will just do
> the job unless you want to tell the difference between "not present" and
> "present but with a zero-length value", which is not very common; and if

But yet that is exactly what *is* the problem. HTTP allows headers like
these, and it makes a difference (whether that's a good idea in the
first place is a completely separate question, and not for this working
group to decide).

> you need this, you can combine that with a regex like /^name:/mi or some
> custom code depending on your needs and tools. Not that I oppose the pro
> posed change, you just shouldn't shout "profile!1" when there isn't one.

Well, I think there is.

If compatibility to existing code (which doesn't check for null) is the
driver here, then please consider adding a new method such as
"isHeaderPresent(headername)".

Best regards, Julian