Re: XMLHttpRequest conformance comments

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:28:05 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>Bjoern Hoehrmann schrieb:
>> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> In particular, HTTP allows headers to be present with no value, and that
>>> means something different than the absence of that header. Please do not
>>> profile HTTP (where it's not needed).
>> You can tell the difference using getAllResponseHeaders(), there is no
>> "profiling" going on.
>Looking at the definition for all getResponseHeaders(), it seems only be
>useful for debugging purposes. Do you seriously suggest that somebody
>who wants to know whether an empty response header was present in the
>response takes that concatenated string and parses it (don't forget the
>rules about leading WS and continuation lines in

Oh please, checking the return value of getResponseHeader() will just do
the job unless you want to tell the difference between "not present" and
"present but with a zero-length value", which is not very common; and if
you need this, you can combine that with a regex like /^name:/mi or some
custom code depending on your needs and tools. Not that I oppose the pro
posed change, you just shouldn't shout "profile!1" when there isn't one.