Re: ISSUE-75: Is method case-sensitive?

On Apr 21, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> The specs last a *lot* longer than the current versions of Mozilla,
> Safari and IE.

And implementations ignoring what the spec says can last even longer
than the spec.

> There's a place for making sure you have a path from the current
> implementations to the new standard, but this isn't it. Specifying
> this behaviour well isn't going to cost anything; some
> implementations won't be conformant for a little while, but fixing
> them won't break any existing applications.

What about existing content that uses a method name of 'get' or
'post'? If implementations stop uppercasing the method names, such
apps could break. Maybe there isn't enough content doing it wrong to
matter, but there's no evidence of this. Please either provide
evidence that there would not be content breakage, or make a proposal
that addresses content using lowercase names for standard methods.

I think requiring uppercasing of method names is a reasonable option,
since the case-sensitivity of http method names does not appear to
have significant use cases. So losing this feature for XMLHttpRequest
will be no great loss. And if it ever does become important, we could
add a way to specify the method name without case-folding.