Re: Issue: request bodies

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:14:25 -0400
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 4/22/06, Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I do agree that HTTP isn't very clear on this matter, but I couldn't
> find any immediately apparent discussion in the WG. Do you have a ref?

AFAIK, this is the latest discussion on the topic, which has some
links to previous discussions;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2002JulSep/thread.html#msg24

> What do you think a request body on GET will mean? What developers
> will probably do with it -- especially if forthcoming access control
> mechanisms have a higher barrier for POST -- makes me shudder.

On the XML Protocol WG years ago, I suggested it could be used to
carry a SOAP envelope (without a SOAP body), effectively adding the
SOAP processing model to GET.  I expect other uses to be similar,
basically as a means for transferring alternate serializations of
header extensions.

FWIW, I don't expect folks to use this just because the API allows it.
 How many would have thought to have tried it in the first place?

I haven't looked at the access control stuff yet.

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.       http://www.markbaker.ca