Re: DOM3EV: Specifying inappropriate modifiers to MouseEvent.initMouseEventNS

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:19:02 +0200
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>

On Apr 20, 2006, at 02:20, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> leaning towards B just because it's more easily implemented, and I
> can't
> think of a valid reason for caring about whether "Tab" was
> specified as
> a modifier or not, especially if there is no way to get the list of
> all
> modifiers in effect.  I could imagine tiny implementations that would
> want to avoid storing strings for modifier keys, and would favour just
> storing (1) as a bitfield, but DOM 3 keyboard events are already
> pretty
> string heavy.

I think B is the only option here, no one is ever going to write an
application that actually has the knowledge to differentiate between
the 1 and 2. And if someone did it, I'm sure the following week some
weirdo would come up with a keyboard on which Tab can be used as a
modifier too.

I don't think that storing as a bit-field is all that important in
Tiny, it wouldn't optimise much. Besides, the Tiny subset of keyboard
events don't have getModifierState() ATM.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist