Re: ISSUE-70: what to do about window timers?

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:54:40 +0200
Cc: Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

On Apr 07, 2006, at 03:23, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> I'll take a stab at putting a draft up in the month to come.
>
> Is there any reason this should be in a separate spec instead of in
> Window?

For me the "not inventing anything in Window v1" is very much a
killer argument. It's not about purity as you put but rather
pragmatism: we need to stick to releasing limited v1 specs for these
things that don't explore new ground. I think that specifying timers
separately for now, and if they become hugely successful merge them
into Window 2.0 is the safest and sanest way to go. I like the idea
of compartmentalising innovation because that way if it's a complete
flop we can forget about it (to a point).

I agree that there are interdependencies, but there's a reason both
these things were chartered to the same WG: we can talk to one
another and work those out :) If needed, since you're using ReSpec,
it's even conceivable that I could do <include href='../Window/
Window.xml#timer-interaction'/> or some such, importing a number of
points relating to navigation, order, etc. and thus making sure we're
100% in sync.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist