Re: ISSUE-71: setRequestHeader has too many header restrictions

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:

> * Accept-Charset
> * Accept-Encoding

These it makes no sense to remove. They're only useful for the UA because
the UA is the one that's gonna handle the charset and encoding aspects.

> * If-Modified-Since
> * If-None-Match
> * If-Range

I am fine with these being allowed, IF the spec defines what should happen
in the case where the server returns a 304 but the client doesn't have the
relevant file in its cache.

> * Range

How would this work for XML MIME types?

> * User-Agent

I would ask that we only allow additions to this one.

> I think we also agreed upon some special behavior around
> If-Modified-Since. That when the author has not set it the UA MUST
> always return a 200 (if nothing else went wrong) with a full body (the
> UA can still set it for speeding up things obviously), but if the author
> did set it and the server version is not newer the UA MUST return a 304
> (again, if nothing else went wrong).

I guess that makes sense.