ISSUE-71: setRequestHeader has too many header restrictions

From: Web APIs Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:02:35 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-webapi@w3.org

ISSUE-71: setRequestHeader has too many header restrictions

http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/issues/71

Raised by: Anne van Kesteren
On product: XMLHttpRequest

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/#dfn-setrequestheader
introduces a lot of restrictions on HTTP headers which we agreed upon to remove
(at least partially) during our first F2F (Oslo, 2006). People have been arguing
for removing at least the following headers from that list:

* Accept-Charset
* Accept-Encoding
* If-Modified-Since
* If-None-Match
* If-Range
* Range
* User-Agent

I think we also agreed upon some special behavior around If-Modified-Since. That
when the author has not set it the UA MUST always return a 200 (if nothing else
went wrong) with a full body (the UA can still set it for speeding up things
obviously), but if the author did set it and the server version is not newer the
UA MUST return a 304 (again, if nothing else went wrong).

I think I'll just go ahead and make some changes to the editor's draft to make
the changes outlined above unless someone objects...