Re: ISSUE-58: XMLHttpRequest.abort() should just reset the object

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:05:56 +0200, Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com> wrote:
>> The decision at the f2f was that the going to 4 was relied on by
>> people, used in situations such as hiding the "please wait" etc.  I
>> think this should continue to be the resolution.
>
> That doesn't reflect what IE does.

Actually, it might. Apparently IE will go to 4 is abort is called
*outside* the onreadystatechange handler. For example if it is called
from a timer or from an onclick handler.

This actually makes a twisted sort of sense, since if you're inside the
handler already there is little point in reentring if you look at it
from a code encapsulation view.

So we have 3 options:

1. Always go to 4 when abort is called
2. Never go to 4 when abort is called
3. Go to 4 when abort is called outside of the onreadystatechange
    handler.

I'd prefer to do 1 or 2, simplicity is always nice.

We have done 1 in mozilla for years and no one (until the other week)
has complained. So by that I would draw the conclusion that that is safe
to do, however I reasoned the same way when it came to
send-with-no-arguments and apparently a lot of people are doing that ;)

/ Jonas