Re: ISSUE-66: should Documents that aren\'t being presented be required to have a null defaultView?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:

> It also requires that if any document that *isn't* being presented in a
> browsing context implements the DocumentWindow interface, then the
> defaultView must be null.
>
> Ian Hickson questioned whether it makes sense to require this - I am not
> sure if it is good or not myself. I don't think we can necessarily
> require that such documents not implement DocumentWindow, since in
> browsers they'll likely be the same kind of object as presented
> documents.

There are a number of other things on DocumentWindow that shouldn't be
there in an XMLHttpRequest document as well. For example,
document.location, document.designMode, document.execCommand, etc.

In any case if we want to _allow_ Document to implement DocumentWindow
even when there's no Window, we should just require it, and be done with
it. I don't want to end up in a situation where some browsers have it and
some browsers don't.