Re: Further update to Window Object 1.0, I think it's ready for first Working Draft

I addressed a few more of your comments by filing ACTIONs or ISSUEs.
Still a few more to go.

On Mar 27, 2006, at 7:41 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> | Need to define the term "document"?
>
> If you do, I'd define it as "A document is an object that
> implements the
> Document interface" or some such.

I filed ACTION-130 for this.

> I think it's confusing that you have different definitions for
> "self" and
> "window". I also think it's confusing that you have two MUST
> requirements
> for what "self" should be -- if you can't just use the same
> definition,
> you should at least make one of those two definitions a statement
> of fact.

In addition to previous discussion I filed the following action which
I think will allow the arrangement you prefer:
ACTION-131: Window 1.0 needs to define "being the same object" in
such a way that it is an equivalence relation

> "For documents not being presented in a browsing context, the value
> of the
> defaultView attribute MUST be null."
>
> There is no requirement in the spec that such documents even implement
> this interface, so that seems wrong. Indeed the spec is clear that
> it is
> documents that _are_ in browsing contexts that implement this.
>
> So I would request that this be removed. Documents not being
> presented in
> a browsing context wouldn't even have the defaultView attribute.

In addition to previous discussion, I filed:
ISSUE-66: should Documents that aren't being presented be required to
have a null defaultView?
> The "5.1. The Window Interface, Timer Attributes" section is woefully
> inadequate. See the WHATWG spec.
>

> Notwithstanding the fact that the WHATWG spec makes the same mistake,
> the "5.2. The TimerListener Interface" section should IMHO be
> dropped. The
> setTimeout(), etc, APIs are ECMAScript-specific, and it makes no
> sense to
> make them available to other languages. In fact in other languages
> there
> are bound to be much better ways of doing timeouts than using DOM
> APIs.

I filed:
ISSUE-70: what to do about window timers?