Re: Ajax Back/Forward History problem document state by document.save()

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:10:12 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> The real question is can you use document.save() for evil in a way that
> is
> more serious than the way you can use those other features for evil.

True. This is why I propose that pushState() to allow an URL as an
argument, so it can behave in the same way as save() was suggested
previously, but with a twist: some strict rules to as which URLs the
author can use in the argument. Not a big twist, but it's something.

For example, the author of http://www.example.com/test.htm should not be
allowed to insert in history a page from another TLD, domain or even
subdomain.

Now a malicious web developer can still do bad things, like: flood the
history. Yet, AFAIK, flooding/borking/braking the back button can be done
with pushState() as currently defined, so not a big difference (or is
it?). This is a problem similar to the alert() flood.

Yet, the problem can be solved in the following way by UAs: block (or ask
the user for confirmation) after a number of X pushed URLs in history by a
page. This is something that can be applied to alert(s) too, yet in that
case showing a checkbox can also be used (like in the good old Opera 6).

There's a real and important need to associate a bookmarkable URL with a
pushState(), or separately ... with something new like the proposed save().

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future