Re: Ajax Back/Forward History problem document state by document.save()

From: kenny heaton <kennyheaton@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:45:41 -0800
To: public-webapi@w3.org

> I disagree here:  link navigation is fundamental to the Web, and I don't
> think the back and forward buttons will or should become obsolete.

I know this is starting to get (already gotten) off topic but I
believe they already are obsolete. The Web is not two dimensional with
only forward and back, it's goes in all kinds of directions (that's
why it's called a web). They are just the only tools browsers have
given us to work with for navigation.

I have to correct my last post; Opera has a "Navigation" tool bar
which provides links to all the link types recommended by the W3C when
they are provided in the page. This kind of linking is more
multi-directional and fits the nature of the web better.

Back on topic - if pushState was only able to save the current state
of the current page, so developers couldn't write something unknown
into the users history, and what you suggest was implemented, so a
developer could only call pushState in response to user input, it
seems to me that it would be safe. But there are still so many issues
with bookmarking etc... because there is not a actual URL that points
to the page. But allowing developers to write an actual URL into the
users history seems to give the developer unwanted control over the
user's browser.

kenny