Re: [WebCrypto.Next] Microsoft's Contribution

On 2014-11-26 03:14, Mountie Lee wrote:

Hi Mountie,

> In my industries, they have big interest for Microsoft's proposal.
> it actually touching important concepts

Yes, but the documentation Microsoft have submitted so far doesn't go
into details how their concept is working.

More comments-in-line.

> 1. Key Ownership
> - the design principle of current webcrypto api is "key provisioner (aka the server) has the key ownership"
> - if the key is owned by server side, the key will be bound into same origin policy
> - if the key is owned by user, the key can be used on multiple origins
> - different principle of key ownership is also touching secure elements at client side.
>
> I believe the Web should be User Centric

I agree with this on a higher level but it "seems" (I could be wrong)
that users would grant unknown web-code direct access to keys.

This is a vulnerability we didn't have before; the soon to be "outlawed"
plugins functioned as mediators, shielding keys from direct access.

> 2. Certificate Management
> - the suggested API seams workable for CMP (Certificate Management Protocol)

As far as I can tell CMP was designed for RAs (issuers) rather than end-users with web-browsers.
Since CMP doesn't even have a client key generation command, it must be anyway be "upgraded" and
then it seems like a better idea starting from scratch with something specifically designed for the web.

Microsoft's paper also refers to:
https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/enterprise_platformKeys
This looks more reasonable.  It is apparently implemented as well!

> 3. Secure Computing Environment
> - when the PC was compromised, SCE will protect sensitive client side resources.

An SE can protect keys from theft, but that's about as far as it goes if the
operating system is compromised.  Key "misuse" remains an issue in this case.

Best regards,
AndersR