RE: CORS question

John,

It may well be easier to write client-side code to orchestrate a complex CSRF attack, but preventing that was not the goal.  The goal was that existing servers/resources would not be exposed to new types of credentialed cross-origin requests that could not already be made by legacy user agents.  Resources are vulnerable to CSRF or they are not, and we don’t want CORS to make things that are not vulnerable today suddenly so, attacker effort not considered.

-Brad

From: John Wilander [mailto:john.wilander@owasp.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:52 PM
To: Hill, Brad
Cc: Brandon Sterne; public-web-security@w3.org
Subject: Re: CORS question

I would argue that CSRF has become more convenient with CORS. The attacker previously had to open invisible iframes with tailored forms for each HTTP POST he/she wanted to send. Now the attacker can just parameterize and send it via Ajax.

Do you agree? Or am I missing a more convenient CSRF POST method for legacy browsers?

   Regards, John

--
My music http://www.johnwilander.com

Twitter https://twitter.com/johnwilander