Re: More on XSS mitigation (was Re: XSS mitigation in browsers)

True, but in the time we have spent debating the complexity of this feature, we at Mozilla have managed to implement essentially the whole thing with just 2 developers working part time.  The complexity to implement the feature should always be evaluated against the benefit it provides.  Browsers have a huge force multiplication factor; if a line of code we write can save many thousands of developers writing many complex and hard to maintain lines of code, its worth it.  Occams razor states that out of all equally good solutions, the simplest is generally best.  Simplicity cannot be the paramount criteria for evaluating proposals.  In addition, part of the goal of this group I believe is to work towards a unified policy delivery mechanism.  Which doesn't imply the strawman of solving all problems before moving forward, as true uniformity requires extensibility.

There's a fundamental question about whether we should be looking at these problems from an attack vs threat standpoint.  An attack is XSS.  A threat is that an attacker could compromise a site via content injection to trick the user to disclosing confidential information (by injecting a plugin or CSS to steal data or fool the user into sending their password to the attacker's site).  We've certainly seen some interesting CSS attacks lately, resulting in CSRF attacks equivalent to the damage potential of XSS.

Regarding the merits of your specific proposal, you would need to also control plugin embedding at absolute minimum to mitigate code injection in any meaningful way, otherwise I just inject a Flash movie with "allowScriptAccess = always".  Regards,
  Lucas.