RE: Flash

I was wondering when someone would start to actually understand the
implications of this. You are correct in being concerned about Flash.
Concerning international patents, my guess is that Eolas has filed their
international patent(s), this is normal practice. Weather or not Eolas
pursuies and wins battles internationally are anyone's guess. I for one
have not had the chance to read through Eolas' patent yet, but as far as
MS is concerned, we must all remember that not just IE is affected, but
MSN Explorer as well (their current browser push). MSN Explorer utilizes
IE at its core as well as the ActiveX/Plug-in architecture not only with
content but the application interface as well. I am not going to even
ponder the possible ramifications within the operating system, for like
I stated I have not yet had the chance to review their patent.

On to patents in general, I personally support the concept of patents.
Eolas is a wonderful example of why patents should exist (although their
current technique in enforcing them seems to have all the grace and good
business practice of the 1000lb gorilla we liken MS to be). Without
patents small companies/individuals have little protection for their
intellectual property. NOTE: I am not looking for an extended argument
concerning this; it is merely my opinion from the point of view of
someone who has gone through the patent process for these reasons.

Does it affect Europe? You bet, possible not directly, but indirectly
without a doubt. Most of your software comes from the US. Legality and
infringement within the US will surely affect your specific utilization,
Aral.

-judd