Re: Mixed namespaces

Philipp Hoschka wrote:
> XML Packaging (at least in its multipart MIME incarnation) won't exactly
> be streaming multimedia. Also, receiving a video and and audio source at
> the same time seems impossible.

I was more considering possible future work in XML Packaging, taking multiplexed
streaming as if it were a single document.

I guess my broader point is that if this is a historical occasion to get rid of
plugins for good, then I'd much rather see the W3C jump on it than try to save
the plugin way of doing it. Surprisingly enough, I didn't quite expect to solve
the issue with a ten word sentence comprised of three bullet points... I do
however believe that there mixed namespaces and XML Packaging are avenues to be
explored seriously.

With XHTML+SVG+SMIL+XForms in a mixed namespaces implementation, the vast
majority of the current Web can be expressed, with gains in functionality and
pretty much only AV content as the loss. Isn't it worth discussing it as an
80/20 solution, while we come up with solutions to the harder problems of
streamed media and see how a streamed binary payload and XML documents can be
made to be a single document (and hopefully not fall under the patent, as is the
case with the data: URI)?

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/