Re: Time To Interactive Definition

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share the current Boomerang/mPulse/Akamai thoughts on a RUM-focused TTI metric.  Here's our original pitch:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SzfiltTJTx2kfl4p7wGMk588jUegwKi6H3GnWuraYYk

We've built a TTI prototype for Boomerang, and are currently testing it with our customers to gather feedback on its usefulness and reliability.

Our current implementation is pretty similar to Tim's TTI Explainer doc, with a few specific differences.  Our requirements for script-based RUM (that needs to support older browsers) differs from what I'd want in a browser API TTI metric.  Here are the main differences for us:

  1.  We wanted a metric that works decently similar in older browsers
     *   We fall back to idle polling (setTimeout) and/or FPS (requestAnimationFrame) in browsers that don’t support LongTasks to estimate main-thread blocking activity

  2.  For mPulse real-time RUM, we can't afford to always wait 5 seconds for the page to become quiet to declare TTI
     *   We're currently waiting for only 500ms of quiet to declare TTI (though we're playing with this number)
     *   The longer we wait, the more likely the customer will "hard quit" the page and we won't get any beacon sent
     *   We allow the customer to change this threshold if they want

  1.  We don’t pay attention to the network for TTI calculation
     *   Since we don't have a reliable notification mechanism of new network activity (only after-the-fact via ResourceTiming), this was impossible to do reliably from JavaScript
     *   We're also not convinced that network activity has a direct correlation with interactivity (e.g. a dozen images being fetched in the background could still give a fully-interactive + 60fps experience)

  1.  We're calling the "lowed bound" Visually Ready (i.e. TTI can't happen until Visually Ready)
     *   Besides FP/FCP/domContentLoaded, we give the customer the ability to specify Hero Images and Framework Ready
     *   Visually Ready is the maximum of any of those available timestamps
     *   Framework Ready is a "catch-all" for things the customer wants to wait for, i.e. their framework to load and register event handlers (they notify us when this is done via a simple API call)

Would love to discuss this and a browser-based TTI on Monday!

Nic Jansma