Re: More on workerStart

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 6/3/15 1:49 PM, Ilya Grigorik wrote:

 object is a Window object, the time origin must be equal to the time of
>> the start of navigation.
>>

> What about Window object that did not result from navigation (e.g. initial
> about:blank)?

Current definition links "start of navigation" to:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/browsers.html#navigate - I think that ought to
cover all the cases, no? It's not clear to me how/who would use this API
outside of those cases.

>  settings object is a WorkerGlobalScope object (dedicated worker), or
>> a SharedWorkerGlobalScope object (shared worker), the time origin must
>> be equal to the time [when the worker script settings object is set
>> up](
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/workers/#set-up-a-worker-script-settings-object).
>>

> Makes sense.  What about other globals, starting with service workers but
> also including ES6 Realms and whatever other cases there may be?

Hmm, ServiceWorkerGlobalScope inherits from WorkerGlobalScope. Do we need
to call it out separately, or would the existing language be sufficient?

https://slightlyoff.github.io/ServiceWorker/spec/service_worker/#service-worker-global-scope

> For what it's worth, there is no performance.now() in a vanilla an ES6
> Realm, so code running inside such a thing that wants workerStart ... not
> sure what to have it return.  Maybe 0 is not terrible for the moment until
> we have some idea of how Realms would actually get created in practice.

I'll admit to having very limited knowledge of Realms.. and it sounds like
it's still a WIP. I'd suggest we defer this one for now?

ig