Re: "Packing on the Web" -- performance use cases / implications

From: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:54:17 -0800
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnotting@akamai.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21 January 2015 at 10:28, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com> wrote:
> > Can you elaborate on what the missing components are?
>
> The ability to take a meta-resource and treat it as a single unit.
> Packaging, basically.

I believe this is still satisfied. The browser (and/or any other tool)
fetches a single resource, which in turn triggers some cascade of
background actions that fetch necessary subresources.

Perhaps we just need a different name to describe this.. In effect, we're
describing something like NPM's package.json [1] or Ruby's gemspec [2].
Except, I'm not even sure we need to define a new format for this, since an
HTML page linked via <link rel=import> can deliver everything we need.

ig

[1] http://browsenpm.org/package.json
[2] http://guides.rubygems.org/specification-reference/