Re: navigationStart in NavigationTiming

On 5/1/13 5:48 PM, Arvind Jain wrote:
> If there is no previous document and the current
> document is "about:blank", this attribute must return the time when the
> document was created.

I don't think we need the "the current document is 'about:blank'" bit,
even.  Any case when there is no previous document means the document is
"about:blank".

> I actually feel it's better to just not mention the case of "there is no
> previous document" and current document = about:blank.

If we don't mention it, what defines the behavior?

> Please also look at the processing model for navigation here:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/browsers.html#navigate - it simply assumes
> there is a previous document (Step 9)

When _navigating_ there is a previous document in all cases.  But the
initial about:blank is not navigated to; it's just created.  But it has
a performance.timing, and we need to define what the values in that are.
  We can define them to be creation time, or all 0, or whatever, but we
need to define them.

> What would be the ideal definition of these 3 attributes according to you?

I don't actually have a strong opinion about how we should define the
behavior of performance.timing for the initial about:blank.  It just
needs to be defined.

-Boris