Re: detecting connection speed

From: Jake Archibald <jakearchibald@chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:49:24 +0000
To: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Cc: Jake Archibald <jakearchibald@chromium.org>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, Puneet Mohan Sangal <pmsangal@yahoo-inc.com>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile <
chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

>  My mobile provider uses a compression proxy and I hate it, I'd rather
>>> wait longer to avoid a sub-standard experience. If you've got users with
>>> slow connections, make your site faster for them by making your site faster
>>> for everyone. If that means loading in low res content then high res
>>> content to get to first render faster, this benefits everyone.
>>>

>> Exactly.
>>

> Not exactly. My browser also uses a compression proxy, and I love it. This
> is a choice we should let people make, rather than forcing a decision on
> them about what we think is a good or bad experience.

Right, I'd be happy if the compression proxy was my choice, as it is in
Android Chrome Beta. But what we're talking about is multiple sites doing
it. I'd rather make the choice once at the browser level, than finding how
to disable it on each site that does it (if they even let me disable it).