Re: detecting connection speed

From: Jake Archibald <jakearchibald@chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:44:51 +0000
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Cc: Jake Archibald <jakearchibald@chromium.org>, Puneet Mohan Sangal <pmsangal@yahoo-inc.com>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> > Avoiding video autoplay on 3g, or warning about data use - this is valid
> but something the browser/os could do, especially as the user may have set
> data limits. This avoids every site having to implement the same messaging,
> and the user can "don't tell me again" these kind of messages at the
> browser/os level rather than per site.
>
> That would be nice. I donít think anyone does this (either OS level or Web
> browser) - but it could be handled at the <video> or <audio> level for sure.

Some mobile browsers (eg Andoird Chrome & iOS Safari) ignore the autoplay
attribute on video.

> For example, the iOS Audible application giving me control, as a user,
> whether it can d/l 300mb audio books over cellular.

Yeah, there's a desire to enable background cache updates in ServiceWorker,
but this option could (and in my opinion, should) be a browser option.
Although I agree this makes it tricky to, say, sync "emails" on 3g but not
"attachments".