Re: [beacon] no limits, no retry, no batching, post only

On 3 December 2013 03:38, Arvind Jain <arvind@google.com> wrote:

> I uploaded a new version of the draft here to address some of the feedback
> so far on the thread at at TPAC:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/Beacon/Overview.html
>
> It is still its own draft. We can decide on the behavior here and then
> decide whether it fits into XHR or not.

The new draft includes a note:
> This method does not provide any information whether the data transfer
has succeeded or not, as the data transfer may occur after the page has
unloaded. To be still an effective mechanism for developers, the User Agent
should make the best effort to transmit the data including making multiple
attempts to transmit the data in presence of transient network or server
errors, even though it uses POST to transmit the data.

This is clearly a step in the right direction (the previous draft didn't
even acknowledge that network errors may occur).  However, I think the term
"best effort" is too vague.  If some User Agents' best effort is better
than other User Agents, then analytics data is going to be skewed towards
them.

--
Luke Blaney
Labs developer, FT Labs [labs.ft.com | 0870 085 2038 | @ftlabs]

--

This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered office at