Re: requestAnimationFrame behavior on display:none iframes

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:49:59 -0400
To: Nat Duca <nduca@chromium.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Nat, Boris,

we reconsidered this issue during today's call following the email from
Boris at
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2013Feb/0036.html

[[
Seeing that requestAnimationFrame is using the Page Visibility
definition of visibility, at this time we don't believe we should expand
requestAnimationFrame to include iframe visibility. As CSS properties
can be queried through script, we don't feel that this is a missing
piece. We are interested in further investigating an element visibility
that can query the visibility state of elements on the page (e.g.,
subdocuments, images, canvases, etc.). In rAF L2 spec, we can possibly
reference the element visibility instead of page visibility. We can
schedule a future conference call to discuss element visibility in more
detail.
]]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2013Apr/0032.html

As such, no further change will be made to the specification. Let us
know if you're dissatisfied by the outcome and would like to object.

Thank you,

Philippe