Re: [ResourceTiming] initiator types

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM, James Simonsen <simonjam@chromium.org>wrote:

> I kinda like the idea of exposing more detail. If users want to track
> different elements separately, then they should be able to do that. I don't
> know that the way we've bucketed things is right for everyone.
>
> For instance, we're assuming the app is predominately HTML. However, if it
> was mostly SVG, then it's not helpful for us to clump all the SVG elements
> into one bucket.

Exactly. Similarly, I don't think something like "subdocument" gives enough
benefit to justify a new term for web developers to learn. In practice,
there are almost no pages on the web that use both frames and iframes and I
don't expect that to change.

I understand that in theory a predefined list of types could make sifting
through the data easier, but I think the list that's there now only does so
for a very specific set of use-cases. Finding a list that works well for
all use-cases seems impractical to me.

In practice the list of tagNames + constructor names that can cause a
resource load is not that much longer than the current list, so I don't
think it would making filtering/sorting harder.

Ojan