[NavigationTiming] waiting for loadEventEnd to get set

From: Larry Martell <larry.martell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 22:03:01 -0600
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
I'm trying to use the Navigation Timing package to measure how long a
page takes to be rendered. So that would be loadEventEnd-responseEnd,
however I am finding that loadEventEnd is always 0 for me, even though
I am accessing it from within a window.onload function, e.g:

window.onload = function() {
    var t = performance.timing;
    var render_time = parseInt(t['loadEventEnd']) - parseInt(t['responseEnd']);
}

If I check in the console after the page is loaded it does have a
value.  What event do I have to wait for before loadEventEnd gets set?

Thanks!
-larry