W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-perf@w3.org > August 2012

[minutes] 2012-08-29 Web Performance WG Teleconference #80

From: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:22:09 +0000
To: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <AE5FFD9402CD4F4785E812F2C9929D65241249CA@SN2PRD0310MB383.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
Meeting Summary:



1.       Navigation Timing Updates

Navigation Timing now has full support for moving the spec to Proposed Recommendation. Philippe is working on unblocking moving this spec to Recommendation.



Arvind has made updates to the Navigation Timing 2 specification to include linkNegotiationStart and linkNegotiationEnd attributes to define the period of time that the radio (or other tasks) take to awake prior to a network request being sent out. There have been some discussions on whether to name this attribute radioAwake, networkAvailable or another name. We will work out those details on the mailing list.



2.       Charter Updates

As the Web Performance WG is near finishing work on our existing specs, we are now looking to update our charter with new performance areas. As a part of the effort to understand what work we should focus on next, we want to listen to developers to understand what areas they would like to see improved. Philippe will be drafting a technical survey which we will broadly share in order to get feedback. Philippe plans on sharing a draft with the working group next week. Based on the interest from the survey, we may invite various experts/customers to speak on the conference calls in September. By end of October or early November, we will plan to have a Web Perf Workshop, where customers can present their ideas. Following that Workshop, the Web Perf WG will meet in a F2F to discuss which topics we plan to include in the charter.



Arvind has offered to host the Workshop and F2F meeting in California this year. We are currently looking at dates in late October/early November. More details will be forthcoming in the next week or so.


Detailed Notes:



Web Perf Teleconference #80 8/29/2012



IRC log: http://www.w3.org/2012/08/29-webperf-irc



Meeting Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2012/08/29-webperf-minutes.html



Attendees

Present for Navigation Timing, Resource Timing and User Timing (4-5PM EST/1-2PM PST)

Jatinder Mann, Philippe Le Hegaret, Alois Reitbauer, Arvind Jain, James Simonsen, Karen Anderson, Mark Tomlinson


Present for Page Visibility, Efficient Script Yielding, Display Paint Notifications (4-5PM EST/2-3PM PST)

Meeting cancelled.



Scribe

Jatinder Mann



Contents

Agenda

1. Discuss and decide on expected behavior for setResourceTimingBufferSize method

2. Discuss any other additional Timing spec feedback

3. Discuss Charter updates and potential new specifications



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Navigation Timing 1 Update

plh: Review has ended yesterday, we have full support for Navigation Timing moving to PR.
... Moving Navigation Timing to Recommended is still blocked on WebIDL, but I am looking to find a way to work around this.

...https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/navtiming/results

Arvind: We should look at ways to communicate this to other browser vendors. I believe Safari was waiting for the spec to reach PR before implementing.

plh: We are done with Navigation Timing.
Navigation Timing 2 Update

Arvind: I have added linkNegotiationStart and linkNegotiationEnd attributes based on feedback.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming2/Overview.html

Arvind: I also updated the diagram to include negotiate link to be after prompt for unload, however, I believe it can occur before app cache.
... It can occur before the redirect, or after the App Cache.
Mark: I concur - link semantic may lead to confusion

Jatinder: We can put the nagotiate link in a seperate plane that stretches from after prompt for unload to before DNS, with a note that explains that based on different scenarios where this can occur.
... Wasn't radioAwake more clear?

Mark: suggest: netlinkNegotationStart and netlinkNegotiationEnd?

Arvind: We wanted to include awaking the computer as well. Let's think about the name some more and we can discuss on the mailing list.
Charter Updates

Jatinder: Seems like there is value in meeting F2F and discussing performance ideas.

plh: I was talking to Facebook recently and they wanted to bring ideas to the working group. I invited the mobile industry people to come and talk as well. We can setup a survey to come up with new ideas.

...http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Performance/Charter#.40.40TODO

Mark: I will volunteer myself for generating/facilitating more ideas - we have the WOPR event at Facebook next month

Mark: http://performance-workshop.org/next_wopr.html



James: Do we have a list?

plh: We can keep a list of ideas.

Alois: I also know other people that might have ideas like webperftest.org.
... I think there is value in getting ideas and then meeting in person to discuss in more detail.

Mark: do you mean: webpagetest.org?

Jatinder: Yes, apologies - webpagetest.org.

plh: I can setup a workshop that we can do online instead of F2F.
... We don't have a TPAC session for November.

Jatinder: I was hoping the F2F would be in California, as Google, Microsoft,Facebook and other potential parties.

Plh: A workshop is a conference like discussion. However, normal workshops take 8 weeks notice, so we may want to do a smaller workshop. What is the timeline?

Jatinder: I was hoping we can spend time in September gathering ideas, and meet F2F in October.
... We can do the workshop for external folks and then meet the next day for a Working Group only F2F meeting for a scoping exercise.

Plh: Do we have a host?

Arvind: Google can host this one in California. What dates were we thinking?

Plh: http://testthewebforward.org/paris-2012.html

Arvind: What about October 18 - 19. Oct 18 for workshop and 19th for F2F.

Mark: I have three different upcoming events that involve #webperf practices and tactical patterns...I can include a technical survey to gather ideas and funnel back to the WG

Plh: Arvind, in terms of logistics on your side, can you confirm the dates on your side?
Received on Thursday, 30 August 2012 16:23:31 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:04:33 UTC