ISSUE-7: FrameRequestCallback interface should be designated as Callback=FunctionOnly [Request Animation Frame]

From: Web Performance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:24:17 +0000
To: public-web-perf@w3.org

ISSUE-7: FrameRequestCallback interface should be designated as Callback=FunctionOnly [Request Animation Frame]

http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/issues/7

Raised by: Jatinder Mann
On product: Request Animation Frame

Unless explicitly specified with a Callback=FunctionOnly statement in the IDL, we will be allowing objects to be registered as callbacks, like so:

E.g.
                var obj = new Object();
                obj.handleEvent = function (event) { alert (‘hello, world!’); }
                window.requestAnimationFrame(obj);

Registering objects as callbacks is somewhat uncommon and may not be what we want. The Geolocation PositionCallback function, http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html, also explicitly calls out that the callback be a function only.

The change would look like so:

[Callback=FunctionOnly, NoInterfaceObject]
interface FrameRequestCallback {
  void sample(in DOMTimeStamp time);
};