[NavigationTiming] Move window.performance to navigator.performance

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:05:43 +0100
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
Hi,

I'm a bit concerned about

http://test.w3.org/webperf/specs/NavigationTiming/#nt-window-performance
[Supplemental]
interface Window {
   readonly attribute Performance performance;
};

This adds a new property 'performance' to the global scope. I think there
may be pages out there that already use that property for other things --
script variables or <div id="performance"> or <a name="performance"> or
<form onsubmit="return validate(performance.value)"><input
name="performance">, and so forth.

http://google.com/codesearch?q=name%3D%28%22%7C%27%29%3Fperformance%28%22%7C%27%7C%5Cs%7C%3E%29+lang%3Ahtml

To avoid polluting the global scope with a common name, potentially
breaking scripts out there, I suggest we move the attribute to the
Navigator interface.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/timers.html#system-state-and-capabilities:-the-navigator-object

To follow the convention around Navigator in HTML5 I guess it could look
something like:

[Supplemental, NoInterfaceObject]
interface NavigatorPerformance {
   readonly attribute Performance performance;
};
Navigator implements NavigatorPerformance;

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software