Re: New web of things server projects

> On 28 Jun 2015, at 09:39, Hamish Cunningham <hamish@gate.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Fascinating discussion folks!
>
> One (rather peripheral) question:
>
> We definitely want to scale from microcontrollers to very high throughput cloud based server farms.
>
> I hadn't previously understood the reference to scaling, server farms and the like as implying that such huge objects might become WoT things in themselves. Is that indeed an objective? If so what type of use cases would WoT serve in that context?
>
> (Subtext: I can see the rationale for WoT in the context of constrained devices, but struggle to see why that vision would be applied up to and including every other computational device or collection of devices.)

With a huge number of IoT devices, we can expect the need to handle very large amounts of data in the cloud.  Moreover, raw sensor data is of low value.  The value increases as you go up the value chain with progressively further stages of interpretation and combination with other services. The Web of Things is certainly not restricted to physical entities and I anticipate a big role for abstract entities and  a global market of services.

—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>