Re: Deep linking

Thanks for this Dom!

Everyone: happy new year! Please read Dom’s post below and let us know if
you have any thoughts.
Dom: should we reach out to the Quixey, Google, Facebook guys? Let me know
and we can get them involved too!

Natasha

Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com | +44 (0) 7730
219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org

Tokyo, Japan

On 1/6/15, 19:44, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In the past few months, several efforts have emerged to try to make
>native apps get some of the benefits of the Web (inter-linking), as well
>as to make them more integrated in the Web (seamless transition between
>browser-based and native-based views of the Web).
>
>Google has app indexing:
>https://developers.google.com/app-indexing/webmasters/app

>Quixey has appURLs: http://appurl.org/

>Facebook has AppLinks:
>https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2014/04/30/app-links

>http://applinks.org/

>URX has omnilinks
>http://blog.urx.com/urx-blog/omnilinks-app-links-and-the-state-of-mobile

>These efforts have also received attention from the press:
>http://recode.net/2014/10/28/how-deep-linking-could-fix-mobile/

>http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/technology/tech-companies-look-to-break-

>down-walls-between-apps.html?ref=technology
>
>Given the number of competing proposals in this space, and given they're
>only as useful as they get widespread, it feels to me this space is
>probably ripe for some standardization effort, or at least
>pre-standardization.
>
>It's also an interesting twist to the usual “native vs Web” — it is
>closer to “native ♥ Web”, with benefits for all.
>
>I'm looking for feedback on the topic, and potential interest in
>contributing efforts in this space.
>
>Follow up actions could be a community group, or even a workshop if we
>feel this type of topic requires broader visibility from the community.
>
>Thanks, and happy new year to all!
>
>Dom

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.