From: Natasha Rooney [mailto:nrooney@gsma.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:08 AM
To: public-web-mobile@w3.org
Subject: Introduction

What a great idea Dom! Ok here's mine:

I'm Natasha Rooney, co-chair of the group alongside the Jo Rabin and Marcos Caceres. I'm an ex Java developer, turned web developer, turned talking-about-developer-slash-expert or "technologist". In my non-W3C capacity I work as a technologist at the GSMA, a global telecoms association very similar in governance to W3C. Here at the GSMA we have been working much closer with the W3C as mobile and the web becomes much closer aligned. We run a "W3C Interest Group" for operators and OEMs focusing on the technology aspects of web and mobile, paying particular attention to the role of the operator network.

As one of the chairs for this group I will help look after the general management of the group, organise meetings, keep all members updated with any core W3C news and make sure we're working towards our goals. If anyone has any questions about deliverables, meetings, actions, new topics of research or even anything else related to the group then please do ask, it's what we're here for!

I'm looking forward to the work that the "Web and Mobile IG" will produce; and that includes anything from helping to progress web applications on mobile towards a native experience to finding those commercial routes that is necessary for the web to become "the platform" across devices. Some of my core focus areas are offline capabilities, push notifications, real-time communications and app discoverability; these will be elements that I hope the group will consider looking into. Aside from this I would love to raise the focus of mobile and empower as many WGs as possible to always consider cross-device and multi-network experiences when defining standards.

Aside from work and web I do like a good hackathon, which is always a great excuse to eat a lot of food and learn something new. I also enjoy Japanese and east-asian culture which does include a fair bit of anime and video games, if I ever find the time.

I look forward to meeting and talking to you all soon!

Natasha

Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com<mailto:nrooney@gsma.com> | +44 (0) 7730

219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org<mailto:nrooney@gsm.org> 7th Floor, 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3BF

On 09/09/2013 15:48, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org<mailto:dom@w3.org>> wrote:

>Hi,

>I have already sent a few messages to the list, but haven't introduced

>myself yet; since I would love for others to introduce themselves, the

>least I can do is to do it too :)

>I work as part of the W3C staff (W3C has ~80 employees), attached to

>the European host of W3C, ERCIM; I've been at W3C for nearly 13 years,

>and focusing on mobile since 2005.

>Among other things, I was involved in the W3C Mobile Web Initiative

>since its early days, and I have been leading it since 2007; I've acted

>as the staff contact for the Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group,

>the Mobile Web Test Suites Working Group; I am currently the staff

>contact for the Device APIs Working Group, the WebRTC Working Group,

>and the Web and Mobile Interest Group.

>For those less familiar with W3C, staff contacts are responsible to

>assist group chairs in running the groups, to ensure the W3C process is

>correctly applied, to coordinate the work of these groups with other

>groups in W3C and elsewhere, etc.

>Beyond my duties in Working Groups, and through funding of European

>research projects, I have been editing and releasing on a quarterly

>basis a document summarizing the various work items in W3C that are

>particularly relevant on mobile:

>³Standards for Web Applications on Mobile²

>http://www.w3.org/Mobile/mobile-web-app-state/

>I'm hoping the IG will consider adopting ³Standards for Web

>Applications on Mobile² as one of its deliverables.

>Through European projects again (esp. Webinos, and more recently

>Compose), I have looked at multi- and cross-devices applications based

>on Web technologies; I described an early state of my thoughts on this

>a couple of years ago:

>http://www.w3.org/QA/2011/11/from_hypertext_to_hyperdevices.html

>I feel in general there is a lot of untapped potential for the Web on

>this topic; it handily is one of the topics that are fully in scope for

>this group to look at :)

>More recently, I have been working with Jo Rabin (one of your already

>beloved co-chair) in setting up this very group as a successor to the

>CoreMob Community Group.

>And over the first half of 2013, I have set up and run a task force

>dedicated to "closing the gap with native":

>http://www.w3.org/QA/2013/03/closing_the_gap_with_native_ap.html

>I'll report more extensively on the outcome of that work separately <

>there again, I'm hoping the IG will be instrumental in enacting this

>overall agenda.

>Beyond all this, I remain a (bad) developer at heart, and love to get

>my hands dirty in code to get a better grasp of the issues we often

>face at a more abstract level in W3C groups.

>I have pretty high expectations about the outcomes and impact of this

>group, and I hope I can effectively contribute in making them true :)

>Cheers,

>Dom

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.