From: Giuseppe Pascale [mailto:giuseppep@opera.com]
Sent: den 5 juni 2012 09:23
To: public-web-intents@w3.org; Isberg, Anders; Nilsson, Claes1
Subject: Re: Web Intents for local network services (DAP Action-510)

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 23:47:19 +0200, Nilsson, Claes1
<Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com> wrote:

> [claes] The reason why we proposed the "action.webintents.org" SSDP
> header was to achieve a solution that scales better by being able to
> filter the SSDP responses. In a large company subnetwork there might be
> many Web Intents enabled devices and we considered the overhead of
> fetching the registration document for many devices using a battery
> powered mobile device. However, I am not sure how significant this is
> compared to the general nature of UPnP with so many messages going back
> and forth...

Yes this was my thought as well. Furthermore my assumption was that you
would fetch the registration document once and cache the info. This would
reduce the overhead.
Anyway having them could still be an optimization, I'm just not sure how
much you save in practice. Furthermore, what would happen if the action in
the registration is not the same as the SSDP?
Which one is to be considered normative?

> So the "action.webintents.org" is not carved in stone. I understand your
> point of being so near the UPnP standard as possible.

My concern is also on the implementation side, i.e. be able to reuse
existing UPnP software with as little changes as possible.

--
Giuseppe Pascale
TV & Connected Devices