Re: web intents agent !== user agent

From: Greg Billock <gbillock@google.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:48:17 -0700
To: Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr>
Cc: "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com>, "public-web-intents@w3.org" <public-web-intents@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Jean-Claude Dufourd
<jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
> On 5/6/12 20:36 , Greg Billock wrote:
>>

>> What I hear you saying is something like this: there should be a
>> standard way for the UA and other intent-interested apps on a device
>> to register with some kind of system-wide broker such that they can
>> exchange intents.
>
> JCD: Not quite.
> You define a basic web intents functionality that is fine for your use
> cases, but not good enough for mine.
> I want to be able to replace the web intents default implementation in the
> browser with my own web-intents compliant implementation with advanced
> features.
> And I want my extended implementation to work across browsers, just like a
> video decoder should work across browsers.
> Ideally, this extended implementation could be in JS and fit in an
> extension.
>
> I have started to rewrite section 4 (the part before 4.1) to give you a more
> precise idea .

I see. Yes, that is definitely an interesting idea! You'd want to be
able to query the set of UA-registered services, though, right?
There's a lot of slippery ground there with privacy implications, but
perhaps there's a good way through. I look forward to seeing the
rewrite.