Is there an existing mechanism that can be used for WebIntents?

From: Mike Kelly <mikekelly321@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:48:48 +0000
To: public-web-intents@w3.org
Hi,

I was wondering whether an example of 'web intent' behaviour has
already existed for some time:

The example I am thinking of is driven by atom/rss links in the head
of HTML pages, i.e. an html page containing the following link in the
head of the document..

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="...." />

... this causes a browser (e.g. Firefox) to present the user with the
option to 'Subscribe to This Page' where the user can fulfil their
'subscription intent'.

Would this be considered an equivalent of a web intent?

Cheers,
Mike