user assigned names for services

On 23/11/11 18:26, Greg Billock wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Giuseppe Pascale
> <giuseppep@opera.com <mailto:giuseppep@opera.com>> wrote:
>
>     I guess there is a need to standardize some actions otherwise I
>     see the risk that some "real word actions" are implemented via
>     different "intents actions".
>     Of course we could start having all actions as examples and
>     promote them to spec once they are mature enough.
>

> One of our explicit goals is to have enough flexibility in the
> implementation such that registries like http://www.openintents.org/
> <http://www.openintents.org/en/> for Android intents can coordinate
> the namespace. That said, having a document providing a focus for an
> initial set of intents which we believe are particularly well-served
> by the spec is important, since it can provide a way for clients and
> services to converge so that users get maximum utility.

It is worth looking at multiscreen use cases where the user is seeking
to display some content, perhaps a video on one or more screens, e.g.
you may have a connected TV in your bedroom, and your living room (aka
lounge). These devices can be discovered via zeroconf or UPnP and
registered by the web run-time, but the interesting question is how
users identify the different screens, especially if they are the same
model of device.

In zeroconf, each device ensures it has a unique persistent name on the
local network, e.g. screen-2, and users can assign their own more
meaningful name, e.g. living-room-tv. For web-intents this binding could
be held by the web run-time, and synched in some way, so that the names
are shared across the different web run-times used by the occupants of
the home.

Note that although the above scenario refers to services provided by
devices on a home network, user assigned names is of more general value
and applicable to services provided by the same device that is executing
the web run-time (or devices directly connected to it), and to services
provided in the cloud. You can think of this as *user assigned names for
favourites*.

You could argue that this is something for the web run-times to deal
with, and not exposed by the web intents API. However, is that always
the case? I suspect that users and developers will want a way for
applications to make use of names for particular services, so that an
application can request a binding for an intent to a named service. This
has the corollary that applications can access the name of a service
after the user has bound the intent.

p.s. I have added this to the wiki for future reference.

--
Dave Raggett<dsr@w3.org>  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett