Re: Service description value for hypermedia?

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 03:16:46PM +0100, Paul Downey wrote:

> On 17 Jun 2005, at 14:06, Mark Baker wrote:
> >
> >>Actually, I thought you meant that people would generally create such
> >>libraries for each *MIME type* (or schema),
> >
> >Yes, that's what I meant, a library per media type, not one for each
> >eBay or Google service.  This would mean that for a very general media
> >type like Atom, that most developers should be content to have a URI,
> >HTTP, and Atom library in hand.  Having more specific, possibly
> >per-service libraries on top (even code-generated ones) may have some
> >value in some cases, but as I mentioned before, I wouldn't want them to
> >step on the toes of the URI/HTTP/Atom libs by defining things which
> >were already handled in those libs... like operations, for instance.
>
> So would you anticipate one library for the generic XML, XHTML and RDF
> media
> types, even thought there may be one of a number of micro-data formats
> embedded inside the single returned document?

Sure, for XHTML+microformats & RDF, at least.  Vanilla XML is a
different story, and probably not one I need to get into here.

Hmm, I suspect I'm missing your point, Paul.

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.          http://www.markbaker.ca
Coactus; Web-inspired integration strategies   http://www.coactus.com