Re: Code generation or forms?

On 6/13/05, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:

> A code-generation approach to that might reasonably assume that the
> name values were fixed for the lifetime of the service and therefore
> hard-code them.  But are they?  In a forms based approach, they need not
> be, and the agent may instead rely on other information such as a
> "type", or data available from an associated URI (as RDF Forms does,
> though I'm not sure that's best).  While this can be remedied by just
> specifying that names may change, I think it, and the other example
> above, demonstrate that there is a line here that we need to keep in
> mind and IMO, avoid crossing.

Hmm, the line you describe is quite subtle. Seems rather like a
variant of Cool URIs - the parameters may change but the identified
service will remain the same.

I think there's a similar bit of twistiness where transformations
appear in the service pipeline. For example, a search query may be
delivered as an (variable) XML document together with the URI of a
(fixed) XSLT stylesheet to convert the XML into the target query
language. The client could also require subsequent transformation of
the results to get the data into a convenient format. In this kind of
a situation a lot of the service description might in effect be hidden
in the XSLT.

Cheers,
Danny.

--