Re: Describing formats [was: Caveats for Web-friendly service description]

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 01:53:26PM +0200, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I tend to think it would be more appropriate to use something designed
> for modelling -- like RDF Schema/OWL -- rather than hijacking a
> validation-centric language like XSD, RNG or Schematron. It's not that
> I'm necessarily a SW fanatic, it's just that the data model is fairly
> simple, has the right default rules for extensibility and versioning,
> and maps to languages more easily than the Infoset.

I think that makes you as much of a SemWeb fanatic as anybody I know 8-)

But yes, absolutely agreed.  I would also like to observe that RDF's
mixin capabilities are perfectly suited to a forms language, since a
form can reside in the same document that carries the the application
data.  This removes the need for treating the form as a representation
of a separate resource, which provides additional simplicity (since a
self-description constraint becomes easier to respect) to both the
architecture and implementation (which is primarily why RDF Forms uses
RDF).

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.          http://www.markbaker.ca