Re: Mirror GitHub activity onto this list?

> On 19 Mar 2015, at 00:18, Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com> wrote:
>
> On March 18, 2015 at 5:14:03 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin (jyasskin@google.com) wrote:
>> Because most of the work in this CG happens on GitHub, Anssi suggested
>> that we use https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml to
>> mirror activity from https://github.com/WebBluetoothCG/web-bluetooth
>> onto this mailing list. You can see a sample of what that looks like
>> at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2014Dec/thread.html,
>> in the messages tagged "[mediacapture-main]".
>>
>> I haven't done this so far because it's straightforward to "watch" the
>> github repository, and duplicating the messages here might be spammy,
>> but it's it's totally possible that we'd get more participation and
>> spec reviews by sending messages here.
>>
>> Do you folks think we should mirror the git activity here?
>
> I agree that it would be spammy. I'd rather read the messages from github. However, it may be worth-while having a separate "public-web-bluetooth-archive@w3.org" email account that gets all the emails. That way, we have a record of all the interactions in case GitHub goes away at some point in the future.

Why I pointed Jeffrey to github-notify-ml was the following: it appeared to me some people who were in this group were not aware the activity is on GitHub, and judged the group's success based on its mailing list activity:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-bluetooth/

Personally, I've had some good experiences from using github-notify-ml in others groups, but that of course depends on participation. No silver bullet exists in fusing the GH and ML together (would love to find one).

I'd like to note that shunning GH notifications to a separate mailing list to which you must manually subscribe (i.e. does not happen automatically if you join the group) kind of defeats the purpose. It is helpful in providing a permanent archive though.

Power users are likely able to set up their mail filters as such that it does not get spammy even if they're watching the repo at the same time. My concern was we may miss out contributions and review by people who join the group and forgot to watch the GH repo.

I guess it is a matter of whether to optimize for core contributors or for the wider community. At least for review purposes including the wider community would be ideal, but that can of course be handled manually as well.

Thanks,

-Anssi