Re: Mirror GitHub activity onto this list?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi <
anssi.kostiainen@intel.com> wrote:

> > On 19 Mar 2015, at 00:18, Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com> wrote:
> >
> > On March 18, 2015 at 5:14:03 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin (jyasskin@google.com)
> wrote:
> >> Because most of the work in this CG happens on GitHub, Anssi suggested
> >> that we use https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml to
> >> mirror activity from https://github.com/WebBluetoothCG/web-bluetooth
> >> onto this mailing list. You can see a sample of what that looks like
> >> at
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2014Dec/thread.html
> ,
> >> in the messages tagged "[mediacapture-main]".
> >>
> >> I haven't done this so far because it's straightforward to "watch" the
> >> github repository, and duplicating the messages here might be spammy,
> >> but it's it's totally possible that we'd get more participation and
> >> spec reviews by sending messages here.
> >>
> >> Do you folks think we should mirror the git activity here?
> >
> > I agree that it would be spammy. I'd rather read the messages from
> github. However, it may be worth-while having a separate "
> public-web-bluetooth-archive@w3.org" email account that gets all the
> emails. That way, we have a record of all the interactions in case GitHub
> goes away at some point in the future.
>
> Why I pointed Jeffrey to github-notify-ml was the following: it appeared
> to me some people who were in this group were not aware the activity is on
> GitHub, and judged the group's success based on its mailing list activity:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-bluetooth/
>
> Personally, I've had some good experiences from using github-notify-ml in
> others groups, but that of course depends on participation. No silver
> bullet exists in fusing the GH and ML together (would love to find one).
>
> I'd like to note that shunning GH notifications to a separate mailing list
> to which you must manually subscribe (i.e. does not happen automatically if
> you join the group) kind of defeats the purpose. It is helpful in providing
> a permanent archive though.
>
> Power users are likely able to set up their mail filters as such that it
> does not get spammy even if they're watching the repo at the same time. My
> concern was we may miss out contributions and review by people who join the
> group and forgot to watch the GH repo.
>
> I guess it is a matter of whether to optimize for core contributors or for
> the wider community. At least for review purposes including the wider
> community would be ideal, but that can of course be handled manually as
> well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Anssi

Thanks for pointing out that people have been confused about where our
activity lives. I've gotten the W3C staff to add a Github link to
https://www.w3.org/community/web-bluetooth/, and I started
https://github.com/WebBluetoothCG/web-bluetooth/pull/77 so we can figure
out what we want the heading text on that page to say.

I'm hopeful that we can set up enough cross-links that people aren't
confused, and then we can use the mailing list as Marcos proposes. But
we'll see.

Jeffrey