Re: FW: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Use Cases for UPnP/DLNA

On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:57:32 +0200, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
wrote:

> Hi Russel,
>
> I think there are two possible options:
>
> option 1: you separate your description into the following
>    two pieces:
>    1. generic description on the use case itself
>    2. detail of possible implementations and/or examples
>       like existing starndards, e.g., DLNA/UPnP
>
> option 2: you simply make your use case a "specific kind of
>    use case" in our use case document
>
> My personal preference is option 1 above :)
>
> Russel, Giuseppe and others, what do you think?

As I mentioned during the call, I would prefer the following approach:

1. usecases should be technology neutral as much as it make sense (i.e.
mention a technology only when is essential part of the usecase)
2. additional requirement for specific technologies to be supported can be
added later, mainly as design goals
(in fact, there is already a deisgn goal to support UPnP, see [1]

So my suggestion would be:
- re write the use case (actually splitting it in several usecases) from a
user centric perspective and without explicitly mention UPnP/DLNA
- as "comment" of the use cases you could mention that UPnP (and maybe you
can mention other protocols as well) is currently used to cover that use
case in some deployment scenarios

So in short, I'm fine to keep the information in, just propose to have a
better split.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/HNTF/Home_Network_TF_Requirements#Design_Goals

> Thanks,
>
> Kazuyuki
>

> On 05/25/2011 04:40 AM, Russell Berkoff wrote:
>> Hello,
>> On the 5/24 HNTF call it was suggested to remove DLNA/UPnP from a
>> submitted use-case.
>> I have no particular objections. However, I do have a concern about
>> existing deployed UPnP/DLNA devices that customers would like to have
>> supported.
>> I would suggest that we include a use-case that directly requires
>> support of existing (and future) UPnP/DLNA devices.
>> Regards,
>> Russell Berkoff
>> Samsung Electronics

TV & Connected Devices